How many times have you uttered the phrase “there just aren’t enough hours in the day”?.
We would all love to save time during the working week, but when we’re consumed by our daily routines and overwhelmed by our to-do lists, it can be difficult to step back and figure out what we can do differently.
So let’s start small, by saving 10 minutes a day.
You might be asking, “what good is saving 10 minutes a day going to do”? But the fact is, we all need a little time to breathe, or we risk burnout.
These 10 minutes could mean taking that coffee break you never seem to get around to, or a few precious minutes of quiet time before you go to the next meeting. It could mean a little time outside, enjoying the fresh air and peace, amid the madness that is going on in the office.
Think about it…when was the last time you gave yourself a few minutes off during the work day? We are all entitled to a break – studies show we are more productive as a result – so do yourself a favour and make it happen!
Here are 10 ways you can start saving that all-important 10 minutes a day:
1. Split tasks into small bite sized chunks so that you are less likely to procrastinate.
2. Group similar tasks and complete them back to back – you will get into a rhythm and it will be easier to complete them quickly.
3. Eliminate distractions, including mobile phones, Facebook and other culprits, so that you can truly focus.
4. Plan your day the night before so that you can begin your day with energy and clarity.
5. Make sure that all meetings finish on time by setting a clear agenda and focusing on decisions and actions.
6. Use ‘waiting time’ productively – if you on hold on a call, or out waiting in line for an appointment, what tasks you could complete on-the-go using your phone or tablet?
7. Process emails in batches – instead of checking your inbox every 5 minutes and responding to messages piecemeal, set aside specific times each day for emails and stick to them.
8. Organise your workspace – when you are surrounded by clutter, it takes you longer to find what you are looking for. These extra wasted minutes soon add up!
9. Learn the shortcuts – is there a keyboard shortcut that would make your routine tasks more efficient? Or an app that would remove some of the manual labour?
10. Get help! Hire a virtual assistant and start delegating the tasks you wish you weren’t doing as part of your role in the business.
It’s time to become more aware of your activities during the working day; how much time you waste, where you are working inefficiently and what tasks you could potentially pass on to someone else.
This is the first step in making a permanent change so that you can concentrate on growing your business and doing what you do best.
Do you have any tips on how to save time? We would love to hear from you in the comments section.
Do you want more tips like this?
Simply enter your info below for weekly business tips straight to your inbox – plus you’ll get a FREE swipe-file: “10 ways you can de-clutter your business and life, right now!”